Wednesday, June 13, 2007

In God's Hands

I talked briefly to a young man this morning who is struggling with decisions in his life. Things have gotten complicated and he said he had "put it in God's hands". Although he didn't share the particulars of his situation, I was still touched. I said a small prayer for him while going my way.

I had told him that he was at an age when he would be facing many decisions as his life unfolds and doors open and close and he will choose wisely because he has put these circumstances "in God's hands."

Speaking from experience, it isn't easy to put things in God's hands and it is even harder to leave them there. We seek God guidance but when He guides, if we don't like the direction we aim for a new approach and doublecheck with God to make sure He knows what He's doing.

I find it takes a lot of courage to trust God with out lives even though we have been doing it for years. As my daughter's life recently took a different turn we knew God was directing her. Still we don't know how her needs will be met or what doors will open and I still find myself praying that she will make wise choices. I realize that this time and these decisions are going to determine the path her life takes. They are very important. I have put her in God's hands.

As we have dealt with my Mom's physical difficulties this past year, I have put her in His hands again and again. For a woman who is turning 93, she has had little health problems, yet in the last 12 months we have seen her in the hospital for long stays on 3 separage occasions. Now she is in a nursing home getting physical therapy after gall bladder surgery. At her age, her weakened condition requires that she take time regaining her strength. We expect she will be home sometime next week, but it was hard to take her to a place where we determined we would never have to go. But we did. I have felt peace each step that God was in it; that she was in His hands, but sometimes it is still difficult to find Mom in a "home".

I think of the young man just starting out putting his life and it's plans in God's hands, of my daughter as she searches for new direction looking to God, of me now in my 60s looking Godward for peace in my life and finances, of my mother in her 90s still needing the assurance that her life is being directed by God. This is the thing, our experiences teach us that God is always there, but as we grow and learn to lean more securely in His care, we never outgrow the need to just reach up and say, "Father, pick me up. I need you. Take me in your hands and shelter and direct me." There is no better place to be than in God's hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home