Monday, April 25, 2005

Time for a LIttle Pruning?

It seems this year we have been faced with one negative event after another. These events seemed to effect our health and always come with a price tag when it's time to address the event in question.

I have visited the doctor's office this year and been tested and treated for more "conditions" than I have in the last 5 years combined. From the bronchitis which was diagnosed as severe asthma to sleep apnea to arthritis it seemed like there was always something I had to be checking into. I prayed, asked for prayers and always felt positive that God was on our side.

I know it is not unusual for a person to go through physical problems following retirement but I just didn't feel I fit into this scenario. After all, thanks to the City, I had rushed prematurely into retirement since their budget was stressed. I had negotiated with them a part-time position with a large cut in pay but would still allow me to make the full amount Social Security permitted and provide enough money in my budget to keep current bills paid.

Then this year hit and once again the City was strapped for resources to have enough money to meet their financial obligations for a year. So, they had to make cuts. Sweet little ole me, was now hanging out there with no contract and no bargaining incentive to keep me on staff. When the final cuts were made, despite the campaigning of my succesor, my position was cut 50%. Oooops! The amount they were able to budget for me will be gone in June. Then I will actually lose over 30% of my total monthly income.

Its true this has been of concern to me. I kept getting messages from the Lord that He had this situation under control and I was not to be concerned about my situation. I thought perhaps the City would magically come into money so they could fund the last 1/2 year of salary for me, but as of right now, doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Anyway, this morning in my quiet time I am reading John 15, one of Jesus final words to his followers before He was crucified. He speaks of Himself as the vine and his followers as the branches. Unfruitful branches, He explained, would be pruned away. I had to ask myself if all these events lately were the Father actively gardening on this branch (me) and pruning away the parts that are not fruitful. I couldn't help wondering if my place of employment was something I needed to lose, that even though I have always felt God placed me there to be his witness, that perhaps my time to be there is now over. And if so, then what's next for me?

Yesterday in church the Father quietly whispered to me that I was not to concern myself regarding health and financial issues, that He was working on my behalf. Which made it a little bit odd when my daughter and I left my mother's house, that she backed right into the side of an oncoming truck. Neither of us were seriously hurt, just knocked slightly out of whack, but the car -- messed up. Now what? I wondered. Then the Father reminded me He had whispered to me because He knew this was another negative event to conflict our lives. But He had said "don't worry!"

Then again this morning I find myself struggling with these assurances I keep getting. I have recenlty told my daughter that I felt we were under attack by the enemy whose job description is to "wear out the saints". As I had my morning chat today with my Father I asked why we kept getting hit with the suck bucket and things seemed to go from one negative event right on to the next one. I reminded Him that I believed Him, I really did, but with repeated attacks, lately it was getting a bit tiresome hanging on to a promise that seemed unfruitful.

Then He asked me what I really believed.

Well, I said. I believe the enemy can fight against me. But I also believe, like Job of old, that he can't do anything you don't permit Him to do. I believe he can hurl all kinds of evil my way, but I don't believe He can touch me to the point of destruction. I believe I should NOT give place to enemy, but rather acknowledge that YOU are the one actually in control and no matter what comes this way, no matter how negative or what happens , You can take what was meant as evil to me and turn it into GOOD! I believe this because it says so in the WORD and I've never known you to not make good on your promises.

So then here we are. Whatever pruning is needed, I'm here at your disposal. Whatever is needed to create in me your image, just have at it. If that means, which I have thought more than a distinct possibility, that I am to point my life in a direction I have not yet comprehended, then I am ready to go in that direction.

And I felt a smile headed my way with an assurance of "That's Good"!

And I think, I need to just be quiet and watch the hand of God go to work on our behalf. That's what I think.... right now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home